We conduct educational workshops for parents, caregivers, professionals, and others involved in the care and support of children with special needs. We can provide one of our current workshops or can design one that meets the needs of your target audience.
DIC in partnership with Starr Commonwealth, National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children, and Trauma Smart, provides training and professional development in understanding trauma and the impact on children, their ability to learn, and their overall growth and development. Our certified trainer will come to you and can train in the following topics:
- Children of Trauma Resilience
- Trauma-Informed Resilient Schools
- Structured Sensory Interventions
- Resetting for Resilience
- Healing Trauma and Restoring Resilience in Schools
Non-violent Crisis Intervention
DIC provides Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training through the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI). Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training equips you, your staff, your school, or your organization with an effective framework to safely manage and prevent difficult or dangerous behavior. Our CPI Certified Instructor can come to you and train and certify your team.
Our highly trained licensed professionals provide workshops, training, and professional development in the following topics:
- Identifying Children for Disability and Mental Health Services
- Challenging Behaviors in the Classroom
- IEP 101
- How Sensory Processing Impacts Behavior and Learning
- Post-Partum Depression: What New Parents Need to Know
- Separation Anxiety in Young Children
- Positive Discipline: Practical Strategies for Peaceful Parenting
For a full list of our training and workshops, please click here.
2075 E. West Maple
Walled Lake, MI 48390
The Detroit Institute for Children currently serves more than 5,000 children with special needs in schools, Head Start, and Early Intervention programs throughout Detroit and Southeastern Michigan. The DIC provides speech language pathology, occupational therapies, social work, psychological services and special education consulting.